Maximizing Your Time During Parent-Teacher Conference
Tuesday, October 15, 2019
We’re already two months into the school year, and K-8 Parent-Teacher Conferences will be held on October 28th-31st. Since Parent-Teacher Conferences bridge the connection between home and school, this is a valuable opportunity to support your child's academic development, while having an open conversation with your teacher.
Before your meeting, take a few minutes to review your child's assignments and grades online through the Infinite Campus portal. Learn more about Infinite Campus.
During your conference, you’ll have about 15-20 minutes to meet with your child’s teacher to discuss student data, assignments, quizzes and/or tests, progress reports, and any concerns you may have. To maximize your time during the meeting, it’s a good idea to bring a list of questions you wish to address.
Here’s how you can make the most out of your one-on-one time with the teacher.
- Improvements you've noticed in your child.
- Let your child’s teacher know of any new changes at your home such as illness, divorce or a new baby.
- Your appreciation for the teacher or the school's efforts.
- Your concern and desired areas of improvement for your child or additional assistance requested from the teacher.
- If your child has an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or a 504 Plan, ask the teacher if he or she has reviewed it yet.
- How is your child doing academically?
- Is my child performing at grade level?
- How is your child doing compared to the rest of the class?
- How your child interacts with other students?
- How your child is doing emotionally?
- Which areas does your child excel in?
- Which areas does your child need improvement?
- Does the teacher feel that your child is doing his or her best?
- How can you help your child at home?
Don’t worry, you’ll have another opportunity to meet with your child’s teacher during the spring semester.
After the Parent-Teacher Conference if you still have questions or concerns about your child’s progress, email or call the teacher to set up another time in which you can meet. Learn how you can stay connected with your child’s teacher throughout the school year.