Vista Verde Middle School Is a PBIS school!
VVMS, along with other Paradise Valley schools, has implemented a new school-wide behavior system: PBIS stands for Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports. PBIS is used interchangeably with SWPBS, which is short for School-Wide Positive Behavior Supports.
It is a set of strategies and systems to:
Allow teachers and staff to take a proactive approach for changing behaviors.
Promote positive social skills among students.
Promote teaching positive social behavior similar to how we teach academics.
Features of School-Wide Positive Behavior Supports:
- Increases instructional time
- Establishes regular, predictable, positive learning, and teaching environments
- Teaches and models behavioral expectations
- Creates systems for providing regular positive feedback
- Acknowledges students when they are following school-wide expectations
- Improves social competence
- Develops environments that support academic success
- Reduces VVMS office referrals, suspensions, and expulsions
- Allows staff, students and parents to work together with universal expectations inside and outside the classroom and school
If you would like more information on PBIS, please visit the PBIS website.