North Valley Arts Academy
Thursday, June 27, 2019
Whether your child is passionate about dance, drama or visual arts, PVSchools offers an outlet for your child to express his or her creative passions with a seamless continuation from elementary school through high school.
The North Valley Arts Academies at PVSchools offers rigorous academics for interested students from 5th-12th grades, plus a concentrated emphasis on performing and visual arts with multiple entry points.
The North Valley Arts Academies at PVSchools offers a truly integrated program with studies offered at Desert Cove Elementary School, Shea Middle School and Shadow Mountain High School.
“Our goal for the newly formed North Valley Arts Academies at PVSchools is to provide a well-rounded education for 5th-12th grade students with a strong emphasis on the performing and visual arts. As the students advance through the program from elementary to middle to high school, the classes become more intensive allowing students to hone their skills in the arts,” said Dr. Keith Preston, director of Fine Arts Education.
At the North Valley Arts Academies at Shea Middle School, students will receive daily in-depth instruction in one of the three areas of instruction - dance, drama (theater) or visual arts. Students, who are accepted into the program, will be immersed in the arts with a concentrated emphasis on performing and visual arts, in addition to the rigorous academic instruction, core curriculum and specialized programs that are offered, including the AVID college readiness program (Advancement via Individual Determination).
Students on the dance track will hone their skills and techniques further to become a successful dancer, including:
- Ballet, Jazz, Modern/Contemporary, Hip Hop/Urban and Strength /Conditioning classes
- Focus on creativity and personal connection to movement and techniques
- Learn the history of dance styles
- Performance and Choreographic techniques
- Self/peer evaluation
Students on the drama (theater) track will be exposed to many facets of the theater world, including:
- Acting and audition techniques and improvisation skills
- Directing techniques and terms
- Theater tech - costume, set, makeup and light design
- The business side of of operating a theater - publicity, producing and box office
Visual Arts students will have the opportunity to receive instruction from experienced artists and will explore cross collaboration between art forms. Visual Arts courses will encompass the current offerings, including:
- Painting, drawing, ceramics, printing, mixed media and college with an emphasis on technology
- Photo editing, design or animation applications, including Sumopaint that will allow students to create a painting from a blank canvas or take an existing image, like a photograph, and make changes
- The middle school program prepares students for success in the high school program and defines the path, which they will continue on whether it’s dance, drama or visual arts.