Welcome to Paradise Valley High School
Students are assigned to a counselor by the first letter of their last name, with the exception of CREST program students. Please view the following list to identify the appropriate counselor:
- Mr. Monterroza: last names starting with A, B, X, Y, and Z – email@example.com
- Ms. Jarrell: last names C-H – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Hansen: last names I-O – email@example.com
- Ms. Morales: last names P-V – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Strickling: ALL CREST students – email@example.com
To schedule a registration appointment, please contact the Counseling Department.
Phone: (602) 449-7015
Fax: (602) 449-7086
Please complete the Enrollment Packet and required documents prior to your registration appointment.
Documents Required for Registration
- A copy of the student's certified birth certificate (not a hospital certificate).
- Immunization records verifying compliance with state immunization mandates.
- Proof of residence, which can be in the form of a lease, recent APS bill, water bill, or a landline telephone bill that has been mailed to you at your home address, or in the form of closing escrow papers if you have just purchased your home.
- If during the school year, withdrawal forms from the previous school.
- If during the summer, new 9th graders will need proof of promotion from the 8th grade.
- For students in special education, we will need a current psychological report and an IEP from the previous school (be sure to tell us that your student is in special education when you call for your appointment so that we can include a member of the special education staff).
- At the time of registration, transcripts (for those who have previously attended high school) and custody papers (where applicable) will be needed.
- A medical screening form, medical record form, and other district documents will be completed at the school or prior to the registration appointment and a meeting may be set with an administrator.
- Students living outside the school attendance boundary must have open enrollment approval, or a transfer form signed by the incoming principal, before presenting paperwork for registration.
- Students living with someone other than a parent must have a completed, signed affidavit form.
- Students who enter after the tenth day of class without transfer grades from another school will be on a late start contract and must make up missed work in order to be eligible to earn credit.
A Note About Our Block Schedule
Paradise Valley High School follows a block schedule. The version that we utilize offers four, full-credit block classes each semester, for a total of eight available credits per year. A block class meets for 86 minutes per day, every day, for one semester.
School policy requires that 9th, 10th, and 11th-grade students be enrolled in a full day of classes (four blocks) each semester, and 12th-grade students must be enrolled in a minimum of three blocks each semester. However, it is recommended that all students enroll in a full schedule to take advantage of our wide variety of electives, advanced courses,and vocational programs. Also, there are many opportunities for students to receive college credits for classes taken here at PVHS.
If you have questions about transferring your student from a traditional schedule to a block schedule, you may call the counseling office for assistance.
Counseling Action Plan
- Counseling - School counselors meet with individual students upon student, parent, or teacher request throughout the year to check on academic and personal well-being of the student.
- Academic Advising - Each individual Counselor monitors their students' academic progress in keeping with the student’s goals and school expectations.
- Parent Conferences – Counselors schedule conferences as requested by the parent, teacher, student, or counselor.
- Curriculum Planning – Students and counselors meet early in the spring to finalize course choices for the following school year.
- College and Career Counseling - Counselors assist students with their academic and college plans and their career pathways through the Education and Career Action Plan (ECAP) Program. The Naviance program is utilized by students for academic, college, and career planning and research.
- August: counselors meet with seniors in individual conferences to discuss the college application process.
- September: sophomores and juniors are presented with college admissions test information and schedules.
- Fall: juniors/seniors and their parents are invited to evening seminars of college and financial planning.
- Ongoing: seniors and juniors are invited and encouraged to attend scheduled meetings with college representatives who visit on campus with PV students.
- Transcript Requests: Official transcript requests for college applications are made by the students through Naviance. In June, final transcripts are sent automatically to colleges requested by seniors.
- Confidentiality – All discussions and interactions between counselors, students, and parents are strictly confidential, except for any information which may reveal possible harm to the student or others, at which time parents and other professionals are alerted.
Honors and Advanced Placement Courses
Paradise Valley High School is proud to offer a wide variety of Honors and Advanced Placement courses for students. Honors classes offer students a more rigorous educational experience and work to prepare them for Advanced Placement instruction. Through Advanced Placement courses, students have the ability to earn college credit by taking the Advanced Placement (AP) College Board Exam for the course at the end of the school year. Placement in these classes is by teacher approval upon registration. Refer to the Paradise Valley High School Course Catalog for course offerings.
For more information, read Why Should I Take an Advanced Placement or Honors Course?
Jackie Strickling, Counselor
There are two types of transcripts: unofficial and official. Most colleges and universities will require official transcripts be sent by the school.
Request official transcripts online via Naviance.
You can download an unofficial copy of your transcript through Infinite Campus.
Access your Naviance account with your pvlearners username and 'other' password, which can be found in Infinite Campus.
Counseling Department Events
Fall: Financial Aid Night
Spring: College Information Night