Equity Goal Objectives:
1. Develop relationships that support and foster social, emotional, and academic needs to ensure individual student success.
- School-wide Conscious Discipline provides a framework for developing social-emotional learning, school culture and self-regulation. Go to the Conscious Discipline website.
- We have been increasing grade levels working together to create Buddy classrooms. We have also joined older students to go on daily visits to younger students who are struggling academically or behaviorally.
- Teachers have identified students, not in their classroom, to buddy up with and develop a relationship with so the students have an extra adult they know.
2. Create procedures to eliminate barriers so that all students can participate and experience success in high quality curricular and extracurricular programs.
- We have worked on expanding our Tax Credit before and after school clubs. Options for students have been increased across interests and grade levels. Using tax credit money, an after school bus has been funded so that most students can participate. Scholarships are provided for students who cannot afford the homework and academic needs clubs. Work is ongoing to expand scholarships for extracurricular clubs.
- We always pay for any 6th-grade student that cannot afford to go to Catalina Island Marine Institute, as well as grade-level field trips.
3. To develop cultural competence within PVSchools that results in equity for students.
- As part of our discipline plan we have a goal of lowering the amount of referrals and tickets overall with a focus upon boys and students with ADHD.
- We have spent the last few years overhauling our behavior/discipline plan to put in more Tier 1, 2 and 3 supports and strategies into place to allow more movement breaks and positive reinforcement to help our students stay in class and have fewer upsets.