Programs for the academically gifted and talented are available at Liberty. Students are identified based on the results of placement tests. They receive accelerated and enriched instruction in mathematics and/or language arts, depending upon their area(s) of identification and needs.
Programs: 4th – 6th Grade
Identified students in grades 4-6 receive content replacement in lieu of the regular grade level curriculum provided in their homeroom classes. Students benefit from instruction that is differentiated in content, process, product, learning environment and assessment. Enrichment during Honors classes may include:
- Accelerated Mathematics
- Latin stems studies as a foundation for interpreting the living languages
- Socratic Seminars
- Junior Great Books
- Classic and contemporary literature
- Grammar and vocabulary instruction using the work of Michael Clay Thompson
- Word Masters Analogy competition
- Project Based Learning
- Advanced problem solving instruction
- Math Olympiad & Continental Math League competitions
Programs: K – 3rd Grade
In grades K-3, we provide a cluster model where classroom compositions are carefully structured with two main goals: to ensure that there is a balance throughout the grade level, and to reduce the learning range found in any given classroom. This system provides opportunities for teachers to more readily respond to the needs of all students.
Students in K-3 are provided with a differentiated and enriched curriculum to meet individual needs. Cluster teachers that administer the gifted program plan appropriately challenging instruction for their students. This may involve acceleration, enrichment, and various extended learning opportunities targeted to develop logical thinking, reasoning skills, critical and creative thinking and problem solving skills.
Our gifted program for all grades targets the following academic objectives:
- Promote critical thinking and reasoning abilities
- Develop and expand thinking skills
- Utilize differentiated strategies for learning
- Build / extend cognitive language skills
- Facilitate opportunities for learning
For more information on gifted services in the Paradise Valley Unified School District, visit the Gifted Education website.