Thursday, October 3, 2019
Understanding Arizona’s open enrollment process and how it works can be challenging. Since Arizona is an open enrollment state, this allows parents to apply for admission to any public school, as long as there is classroom space available. Each school district develops its own open enrollment policies, which is then approved by its Governing Board.
So why would parents choose to enroll their child into a school other than their home school? Parents choose to open enroll their child in another school or school district for a variety of different reasons such as unique program offerings, teaching philosophy, extracurricular activities, or a closer proximity to work.
At PVSchools, our open enrollment period for the next school year (2020-21) runs from September 3rd through January 21st. Here’s what you need to know about the PVSchools’ open enrollment process.
- The early bird round, which is for families residing within district boundaries, began on September 3rd and concludes on December 2nd. All early bird applications will be processed and parents and guardians are notified by email prior to Winter Break.
- The final round, which is for out-of-district families ONLY, begins December 3rd and concludes on January 21st. Applications received during this time frame will be processed and accepted and/or denied based on remaining space availability at the requested school. Please note that there may be additional closures by December 2nd. Applicants will be notified by email in February.
- After January 21st, you may go directly to the school of your choice to enroll your child. Students are accepted based upon availability.
- The Early Bird Round is NOT first-come-first-served. Everyone applying between September 3rd and December 2nd has the same opportunity for acceptance.
- Applications may be dropped off at either your current school or mailed to the District office: 15002 N. 32nd Street, Phoenix, AZ 85032 Attn: OE; or you may email the applications. If emailing the applications, please send Elementary applications to Tera Sorenson. For Middle and High School, please email applications to Stephanie Machas.
Once accepted to a PV school under the open enrollment process, parents are responsible for providing transportation for their child to and from school.
Download the open enrollment application.
PVSchools offers quality education choices for every journey from preschool to 12th grade. With a robust curriculum at every grade level to free full-day Kindergarten and music and visual arts at the elementary level. The middle and high school levels help define a student’s path to college and career readiness with a wide variety of core curriculum courses, electives, Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs and athletics.
- Students currently enrolled in one of our PV schools under Open Enrollment Do Not need to reapply if they are remaining at the same school.
- Per Governing Board policy, students currently on open enrollment and wishing to continue through their elementary school/middle school/high school feeder system Do Not need to reapply when entering 7th grade or 9th grade providing they choose to attend the middle school or high school in their current feeder system.
- The following schools/grade levels are CLOSED to Open Enrollment for the 20120-21 school year:
- Elementary School: Fireside Elementary and Wildfire Elementary School are open for kindergarten, but closed for all other grades. Applications for siblings of currently attending students will be considered.
- After December 2, 2019, kindergarten at Wildfire and Fireside will be closed to all in-district applicants. For out-of-district applicants, enrollment will close on January 21, 2020.
- Middle School: Desert Shadows Middle and Explorer Middle are closed for open enrollment for eighth grade. Applications for the seventh grade will be accepted based upon availability.
- High School: Pinnacle High is closed for open enrollment for 10th, 11th and 12th grades. Applications for the ninth grade will be accepted based upon availability.