Donate to PVSchools

Tax Credit Donations

Making a contribution to receive an Arizona public education tax credit is simple. You can get a tax credit up to $200 for an individual or $400 per married couple.

Make a General Tax Credit Donation (to one of our Elementary, Middle or High Schools)


Make an Activity-Specific Donation (to a High School program or activity)


Download the Mail-in Tax Credit Form


Tax credit eligible fees paid and contributions made to a public school from January 1 through April 15 of the calendar year may be used as a tax credit on the prior or current year's tax return. For example, qualifying contributions made to a public school between January 1, 2021, and April 15, 2021, may be used as a tax credit on either the taxpayer's 2020 or 2021 Arizona income tax return. (Pub 707 ADOR). For additional information, contact the Finance Department at 602-449-2033.

Arizona tax law allows taxpayers a credit for contributions made or fees paid to a public school for support of extracurricular activities or character education (as defined in ARS 15-719). If married, taxpayers file separate returns: Each spouse may claim one-half of the credit that would have been allowed on a joint return. Extracurricular activities such as sports, band, speech and debate or overnight field trips are generally not fully funded by school districts, so your donation directly supports students.

Tax Credit FAQs

What is a tax credit?

A tax credit is not a tax deduction. A tax credit is a dollar-for-dollar reduction in the actual tax owed. For example, if you owe $900 in state income taxes and you donate $400 to a public school for extracurricular activities, you may subtract the $400 from your tax bill and pay the state just $500.

What is an extracurricular activity?

Extracurricular activity means any optional, non-credit educational or recreational activity that supplements the education program of the school. Activities such as sports, visual and performing arts, special programs, field trips, character education, clubs, or outdoor education can be funded with tax credit money. Extracurricular activities help children develop qualities such as leadership, team play, and cooperation as well as provide safe, supervised activities after school hours.

What is a character education program?

A character education program is a program defined in ARS § 15-719. Under this statute, each district may develop its own course of study for each grade. At a minimum, the character education program must include instruction in the definition and application of at least six of the following character traits: truthfulness, responsibility, compassion, diligence, sincerity, trustworthiness, respect, attentiveness, obedience, orderliness, forgiveness and virtue.

Who is eligible?

This tax credit is available to all Arizona individual taxpayers regardless of whether or not they have children in school. An individual can contribute and receive a tax credit for any amount up to $200, or a couple filing jointly can contribute up to $400.

Does all of my money go to extracurricular activities?

Yes, 100 percent of your donation goes directly to the schools for extracurricular activities that benefit students by enriching campus life and learning. None of the money is used for overhead.

Can I designate where I want my money to go?

Yes, you can say where you want your donation to go. You can choose your child's school, split the donation between one or more Paradise Valley schools, and designate it for any extracurricular activity or character education program you choose. You can donate to a school based on student poverty, type of activity, grade levels or location. If you want to donate to a school or an activity where not all parents can afford to contribute, you may do this.

Do I have to donate the full $200 or $400?

You may donate any amount but you will only receive tax credit for the $200 or $400 limit. You may donate in installments during the calendar year, or donate it at one time.

Do I have to live within the Paradise Valley Unified School District?

No, any individual who pays Arizona State income tax can donate. Anyone with or without children, married or single, can take advantage of this tax credit.

Note: We do our best to ensure that your donation is used for the purpose(s) you specify. But if for some reason your donation cannot be used for that activity, such as when a field trip or a performance is canceled, the school will use your money to support another worthwhile eligible activity.

Other Types of Gifts and Donations

For Your Consideration

Many students who attend our schools can benefit from your generosity. Individuals and organizations may make a monetary gift and/or donation to PVSchools. When making a monetary gift, you may request how the funds are used.

For example, you may designate that the funds you donate help cover athletic participation fees for middle and high school students or be used for a particular school’s Principal’s Discretionary Fund, student incentives, food, or a program such as Band or an elective.


Girls Dancing

  • Individuals and organizations may make monetary gifts and/or donations to schools.
  • There is no limit to the amount that may be gifted and/or donated.
  • Donors can either mail their checks with the PVSchools Gifts and Donations form to the school of their choice, or drop them off at the school.

Make a Difference in the Lives of PV Students!

Donate Today

Gifts and Donations FAQs

What can Gifts and Donations be used for?

PVSchools middle and high schools are in need of monetary gifts such as cash and checks that can be used for athletic participation fees for students who may have an economic hardship. If you’d like to make a monetary gift, please indicate the school and program to you are contributing.

Who can make monetary Gifts and Donations?

Individuals and organizations may make a monetary gift and/or donations to PVSchools. Those making monetary gifts may request how the funds are used such as to help cover athletic participation fees for middle and school students or a particular school.

What are the benefits of making Gifts and Donations to the district?

Reduced educational dollars necessitates the need for school districts to turn to their communities and stakeholders to address the shortage to meet the educational needs of students.  Donors have the ability to work with school site administration and the district to identify needs that best support our schools and students.

Are Gifts and Donations tax deductible?

The Paradise Valley Unified School District is a governmental unit and classified as a charitable organization as defined in section 170(b) of the Internal Revenue Code. Gifts and Donations are accepted and acknowledged by the Governing Board and receipts are issued for tax purposes.  Please refer to your tax preparer for questions on charitable donations and tax deductions.

How do the Gifts and Donations work?

Donors can send checks with the required form through the mail. Actual items must be reviewed and accepted by the schools. Schools do not have to take donations that do not enhance or improve educational needs such as non-commercial grade treadmills.

If the school/department wishes to use a donation for food, a letter from the donor is required that specifically states food can be purchased.

What can be accepted as Gifts and Donations?

Cash and checks are accepted. For non-cash donations, items such as books, furniture and musical instruments can be accepted. The donor must indicate the value of the donation for non-cash donations as the school/site cannot make that determination. Information Technology (IT) and Facilities items such as computers, network equipment, displays, printers, or smartphones, playground equipment, appliances, shade structures (donor is responsible for the upkeep) must have prior approval from the IT Department or the Facilities Department. For IT approval, please call (602) 449-2392. For the Facilities Department approval, please call (602) 449-2260.

What cannot be accepted as a donation?

Exercise equipment is not accepted. Additionally, school sites are not allowed to accept any vehicles that would require district registration with the Maricopa County Vehicle Department such as tractor, car, golf cart, or trailer. If you have any questions, please contact the Transportation Department at (602) 449-2251.