• November 7, 2017 M&O Budget Override Election

  • Voters will decide whether to continue the existing 13.24 percent Maintenance & Operations (M&O) Budget Override and to further support schools with a 1.76 percent increase for a total of a 15 percent M&O Override.

About Overrides

  • Arizona state law allows school districts to increase their M&O budgets up to 15 percent more, per year, than the per pupil funding level set by the legislature. M&O funds are used almost exclusively for teachers and staff salaries

Why is the Election Being Held?

  • The District is requesting a 15 percent M&O Override, an increase of the current rate of 13.24 percent. The increase is being sought so the District can maintain current programs and increase teacher and staff compensation. The override before the voters is approximately $25 million annually and would be funded in the first year by an estimated tax rate of $.77 per $100 of secondary assessed valuation.

How Will Your Taxes Be Affected?

  • The current yearly tax for the existing override is approximately $68 per $100,000 in assessed value of a home. The requested increase in the override to 15 percent will result in approximately an additional $9 in the yearly property tax per $100,000 of assessed value of a home, bringing the new total to $77 per $100,000 of assessed value of a home. The assessed value of a home is set by the Maricopa County Assessor’s Office and is frequently lower than current market value of a home.

What will the Override do for Students?

    • Ensure current academic programming remains in place.
    • Provide competitive salaries to retain and attract highly qualified teachers and staff.
    • Continue instruction for technology, physical education, fine arts such as music, art and drama, foreign language and other electives.
    • Promote a safe and healthy school environment.

What Happens if the M&O Override is Not Approved?

  • The non-renewal of the override will require the district to cut more than $7.5 million from its operating budget per year for three (3) years, starting in 2019. The district will ultimately have to cut $22.5 million if the current override is completely phased out. Programs for students will be reduced or eliminated, salaries will not be competitive with surrounding school districts, and class sizes will increase.

When is the Election?

  • Election day is Tuesday, November 7, 2017. A ballot will be mailed to EVERY registered voter on or around October 11, 2017. Ballots may be returned by mail or dropped off at ballot centers prior to, or on election day. Voters may also vote in-person at a ballot center. For more information regarding these new voting procedures, or questions regarding ballot by mail, please call Maricopa County Elections Office at 602.506.3535 or visit www.pvschools.net/election.

PVSchools Profile

    • Founded in 1913
    • Seventh largest district in the state
    • 98 square miles
    • More than 31,000 students
    • 45 schools:
      • 29 elementary schools
      • One K-8
      • Seven middle schools
      • Five high schools
      • Two alternative schools
      • One online school
    • 6 service buildings
    • 5.1 million square feet of facilities, of which 5 million are schools

Fact sheet downloads