What is a Structured English Immersion (SEI) classroom?
The Structured English Immersion (SEI) classroom isdesigned to teach English to students who are not proficient
in the English language.
The class structure consists of:• English as the language of instruction.
• Students receiving four (4) hours of English Language Development daily in Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking, Vocabulary and Grammar.
• Materials in English.
• Students grouped by language proficiency level.
• Students taught by highly-qualified teachers.
• Students taught English at an accelerated rate.
Benefits of Structured English Immersion for ELLs
• Students will learn English at an accelerated pace.
• Students can concentrate on learning English.
• Students will learn the English required for academic class work.
• Students will be in classrooms with teachers who are trained to teach English Language Development.
What is English Language Development (ELD)?
ELD instruction includes pronunciation (phonology), word building blocks (morphology), word order (syntax), and vocabulary (lexicon and semantics). These elements are foundational for proficiency in:
• Listening• Speaking• Reading• Writing