As PVSchools works to improve the website experience, some menu and content changes may occur. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Digital Learning Center
The Digital Learning Center (DLC) provides students with an interdisciplinary, project-based learning environment that embodies 21st Century learning. Science (8th), social studies (7th), and literature are combined within the DLC, allowing for a unique problem-based learning environment. This cross-curricular exploration will take students through the 7th and 8th grade standards with built-in continuity, leading to a culminating project that explores how science, history, and the learner fit into this world.
Criteria for Admittance into the Digital Learning Center
There are four ways you can qualify:
- Gifted qualification at 97 percentile + in two areas: verbal, quantitative or non-verbal
- Gifted qualification at 97 percentile + in one area, AND 90 percentile + in the other two areas
- Gifted qualification at 97 percentile + in one area, AND 90 percentile + in one other area PLUS a principal recommendation
- IQ of 135 or higher
*PLUS performing or highly performing in AzM2 reading and math in the 2020-2021 SY.
A project-based learning environment that embodies 21st century learning through ubiquitous technology, featuring literature integration within the content area. The program, based on innovative instructional practices for authentic learning, incorporates and features:
- Teaching that is student-centered with the instructor acting as a resource and guide.
- Integration of core academic coursework & standards through thematic relationships and dichotomies
- Inquiry and project-based learning for exploring themes
- Extensive collaboration for student-produced outcomes
- A global perspective that cultivates 21st-century learners
Curriculum & Instruction: Course content is based on major thematic elements found in the Arizona State and Common Core Standards in Social Studies, Science, and Reading for seventh grade and eighth grade, as well as national standards endorsed by the NCSS, NSTA, ISTE, and NCTE. By featuring thematic elements, the content encompasses multiple subjects simultaneously.
Components of the DLC
- Digital Learning Center
- Literature, Social Studies and Science
- Writing Class
- The Honors Writing teacher works exclusively with the students in the DLC and collaborates with the DLC teachers to support project-based learning with a unified team approach
- Math Class
- MS or HS math placement (based on previous math placement)
- Depending upon the student's schedule, elective options could include the following (some options not available in seventh grade):
- Foreign Language — Spanish and Mandarin
- Fine Arts — chorus, band, strings, art, or drama
- Physical Education
- Student Aide
- Computer Applications