School success starts with language skills
Language is a fundamental building block for learning. At PV Schools we understand many students come to school from homes where English is not the primary language. To help them be successful in school, the Language Acquisition Department provides a variety of services directly to parents, students and their teachers. For students speaking any language other than English, help is available through specially trained district staff as well as Language Line® services.
The PV Schools Language Acquisition Department oversees:
- All aspects of language development in our elementary, middle schools and high schools,
- Compliance issues for English Language Learners,
- Testing of students for English Language Proficiency,
- Staff development for teachers,
- Translation services for key documents and critical communications,
- Interpreter services as identified and requested by the schools,
- State and federal grants for special populations.
Honoring each culture
While helping these students with English language skills is an important focus, we also take care to honor cultural differences that can affect a student’s comfort in school and educational development. We have a comprehensive set of services — tutoring to parent programs and more — in support of Native American students. Native American Student Services
With an increasing population of students from refugee families, the Language Acquisition Department is continually focused on insuring all students at PV Schools are provided educational opportunities that meet their unique needs.
For more info
Parents are encouraged to seek information from their schools on the services the Language Acquisition Department provides.
PV School teachers and other employees can access a full set of resources and services from the Language Acquisition Department with the following link: Language Acquisition site for teachers