Applications to the preschool and kindergarten Self-contained Gifted and Talented program for Fall 2014 will be posted on Dec. 6. We will begin accepting applications Jan. 6, 2014.
Paradise Valley Unified School District features a Gifted Preschool Program for 4-year-old children who are identified as gifted.
- Emphasis on critical and creative thinking
- Accelerated curriculum
- Integrated technology
- Core content
- Teachers are Early Childhood Certified and hold a Gifted Endorsement..
- The Gifted Preschool follows the PV Schools district calendar.
- Both schools offer full-time gifted programs for students in grades K-6.
- Transportation is not provided for preschool students.
This unique, tuition-based program is open to gifted preschool students throughout the Valley.
The program is offered at two schools.
Desert Cove Elementary School
- Located off the 51 & Shea, 11020 N. 28th St., Phoenix
- Hours 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Before and after-school childcare offered in the Mascot Cougar Club
- Visit pvschools.net/dces
Fireside Elementary School
- Located off the 101 & Tatum near Desert Ridge Mall, 3725 E. Lone Cactus Dr.
- Hours 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Before- and after-school childcare offered in the Mascot Club
- Visit pvschools.net/fses
Admittance is a three-part process
- Gifted testing to qualify for program application.
- Application submission to the PV Schools Gifted Office. Approved application and registration fee are required.
- Registration and registration payment to PV Schools Community Education.
Students must have reached their fourth birthday to be eligible for registration. Students must be identified as gifted on an IQ test. Parents may seek private testing or may schedule testing by our district by calling 602-449-2113.
- If your child is accepted into the Gifted Preschool and is already 4 years of age or reached his/her fourth birthday prior tothe first day of school, you may register for the Gifted Preschool at any time with payment of the registration fee.
- If your child was 4 years of age prior to November 1, you may register at any time with payment of the registration fee and a non-refundable deposit of the first month’s tuition, to be applied upon entrance into the program.
- If your child will not reach his/her fourth birthday until after November 1, he/she may register two months prior to the fourth birthday with payment of the registration fee and a non-refundable deposit of the first month’s tuition (to be applied upon entrance into the program).
Registering in advance will reserve a space for your child. Some students may attend the Gifted Preschool for more than one year, until they are age appropriate for enrollment into Kindergarten.
Parents are welcome to seek private IQ testing with a psychologist. Call our office at 602-449-2113 for information on the type of testing required. You may schedule testing with a district school psychologist by calling 602-449-2113. Testing will take place during in June, on selected days outside of school hours. A testing fee of $180 is required two weeks prior to testing. Students must qualify as gifted by obtaining a score of 90% or above in Verbal, Nonverbal, and/or Quantitative area(s).
Tuition — per school year
$7,600 (Paid in ten monthly installments)