Dear Desert Shadows Elementary School Parent Community,
I would like to thank you for a smooth opening to the 2014/2015 school year. As you are aware, there have been many changes to the campus over the summer and it is sincerest hope that they have not been a major source of inconvenience to you. We appreciate your continued cooperation as we all make the necessary adjustments to these changes.
Furthermore, I would like to take this opportunity to address our school letter grade from the Arizona Department of Education. As most of you know, after the continuum of A letter grades, our school letter has dropped to a C, which has been disappointing to all of us here at Desert Shadows Elementary School. There are no easy answers to the reason our scores dropped, and we can only speculate as to why. With the help of all stakeholder groups at Desert Shadows Elementary we have developed the following plan in order to move forward successfully:
- We will continue to implement Common Core Standards and Strategies for our students.
- All students will be assessed several times a year with benchmark math test, district DSA test and unit FCA(formative Common Assessments) through the grading program of Mastery Connect.
- Teachers will be meeting in their Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) to discuss student data and how to implement remedial/enrichment strategies during the extended daytime.
- Teachers will be able to identify what standards students may need remedial support in and convey that information to parents.
- Homework Lab will be working with teachers to assist students who may need additional support for certain standards.
In addition, I am working very closely with our Leadership Team, School Council and PTA to make sure parents have as many venues as possible to get answers to their questions and concerns. We have scheduled several events over the next couple of weeks. Please mark the following dates on your calendar.
September 2nd: I will be speaking at the PTA meeting at 3:30pm during which I will be giving my usual Principal Notes, including discussion of test scores.
September 8th: There is a Principal Forum scheduled at 6:30pm in the Media Center. Main topics of discussion will be test data and Desert Shadows Plan of Action.
September 10th: I will be holding a Coffee with the Principal meeting at 9:00am, sponsored by our DSES PTA. This venue is an informal gathering for parents to attend, ask questions and get concerns addressed.
If you are not able to make any of the above venues, please feel free to give me a call or stop in. I have an open door policy and will do what I can to see you right away. On the occasion I may be unavailable, please contact Madonna Cooper to schedule a meeting to meet with me.
We are working very hard to make sure all of our students are reaching and learning at their optimum levels of achievement. I am confident that our new plan set forth will see to it that our students will have a successful year ahead.
Thank you in advance for your continued support. I look forward to the opportunity to address any and all concerns of the DSES parent community.